Saturday, March 28, 2015

GOOD WALLEYE AND SAUGER AVAILABLE NOW!!!

Greetings:
Was out early this morning and wanted to pass this along to all my friends that fish the Mississippi river and those thinking of fishing it. 

With the Mississippi River open and in good shape, the fishing so far for both walleye and sauger has been very good. 
In Pools 12 and 13, I have been experiencing a really decent bite with many nice fish being caught. There are two things that I have been doing different that has really helped catch those fish. Getting away from the usual 3-way rigs many anglers choose to use in the Spring and also the locations I have been fishing. 

Right now I have been having excellent success using hair jigs that I tip with a plastic trailer. Best trailer so far this past week has been a 2" piece of plastic worm that I simply attach to the hook of the jig and let it trail. The bucktail jigs I tie myself have been great using this method either tipped with a minnow or just plain. As far as color?, the most fish I have taken were on an all black jig head with a combination of black and orange hair. This color scheme has been outstanding. Start with a 1/4th. ounce weight and adjust to the current conditions as necessary. For the plastic trailer, black or purple have worked best. 

The second thing I have been doing is not fishing up at the dams. Right now there are many down river spots holding good fish that are hungry and never see an angler. River bend areas, sand flat areas and any creeks and streams that dump water into the river are holding fish. Look for distinct current breaks in these areas and you will find the fish. Fan cast the areas completely, changing your retrieve until you find what the fish are looking for. Also, stay within a foot or so of the bottom for best results. The water is still cold and the fish will not chase your lure far. 

The walleye and sauger are available in many spots down river from the crowds up at the dam. So why not go and find your special honey hole? With great weather forecast, get out and enjoy.

Regards: Lastcast   Mike Cyze  lastcast13@yahoo.com

No comments:

Post a Comment